Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This easy-to-make, Homemade Lemon Curd recipe is buttery, silky smooth, sweet yet tart. Perfection in a lemon curd!
I’ve always wondered about Lemon Curd. I’ve seen it around and wanted to try it and see what the fuss was all about. And now I know what I’ve been missing!
I finally made my first batch a few weeks back, but it was gone way before I could write about it. We pretty much ate that batch straight from the jar.
It was that good. So buttery and silky, sweet yet tart. Perfection.
Over the weekend, I made a triple batch to ensure that I had enough for us to “sample” (eat straight from the jar) and still have plenty for all the recipes I have in mind. (Good thing I did, because that jar was full before I took these pictures!)
What to use lemon curd for?
Oh, so many ways:
- A topping for scones, pancakes, waffles, sugar cookies
- Hide inside muffins or cupcakes
- Makes a great filling for cupcakes, cookies, crepes, pies and tarts.
- Mix with a little whipped cream for a fabulous fruit dip.
- I especially like to stir it in my vanilla yogurt and top with granola and fresh blueberries or raspberries.
- Make ice cream (or do what I did and mix it into store-bought vanilla ice cream- I had to test it out and make sure it was good before recommending it…)
Ingredients in Lemon Curd
- Egg yolks,
- 1 to 2 lemons (you need the zest and juice)
- Unsalted butter
So, are you ready to make your own Lemon Curd?
It’s so easy. The hardest part is you have to stir the lemon curd the entire time it cooks, (about 7 minutes.) Which really isn’t that hard…
Perfect time to catch up on your favorite gossip websites, email, or Pinterest.
I used this recipe from Martha Stewart, and it turned out perfectly both times. (I made a single batch the first time and tripled it the 2nd time.) Thanks again, neighbor for those fresh Meyer lemons!
BTW, do you like my turquoise backdrop? It’s my favorite. (I’ve been using it quite often lately… Must be this dreary winter weather.) Are you curious about how I made it? I have the instructions here: DIY Photo Backdrop
How to make lemon curd:
- 3 large egg yolks,
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 tbs sugar
- 4 tbs unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces
- Combine yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, and sugar in a small saucepan. Whisk to combine.
- Over medium heat, stir constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Cook until mixture is thick enough to coat back of wooden spoon, about 7 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Add butter, a few pieces at a time, stirring until consistency is smooth.
- Transfer mixture to serving container. Let cool. Refrigerate for about an hour or until chilled.
(This recipe makes about 8 oz.)