Every few weeks, I ask my hubby to stop by Sam’s Club to pick up a few items that we use in bulk. I always ask him to grab us a couple of their rotisserie chickens as well. We use the first one in a couple of meals and I’ll de-bone the 2nd one and freeze the meat in meal size portions to use later.
I have so many different recipes to use the chicken, though one of my favorite ways is in chicken salad! And what chicken salad is yummier than a Waldorf Salad, stuffed full of grapes, apples and walnuts?
On this particular day, my daughter had fallen asleep during the late afternoon. Of course, she woke up super grumpy! I tried to snap her out of the grumps by having her help me with dinner, which she loves.
There really wasn’t much for her to do. The only thing I was doing was chopping the fruits and veggies.
I’ve let my 9 yr old handle a small knife with supervision, but never my baby! (She’s 7) It was torture to hand her the tiniest little pairing knife I had and let her chop a few apples and grapes. I tried to stay quiet after showing her how to hold the fruit and handle the knife, but I was sweating bullets with each little slice. (Yes, I fully admit to being just little overprotective…)
She did great and was very proud of herself!
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3ish cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup seedless red grapes, cut in half
- 1 large apple, diced
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup honey mustard (If you are a Miracle Whip fan like I am, skip the mayo and honey mustard and just use Miracle Whip. )
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°. Toast walnuts in a single layer in a shallow pan 6 to 8 minutes, stirring halfway through. (optional – but so yummy!)
- Stir together chicken, grapes, apples, celery, mayo/honey mustard and walnuts.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on your favorite rolls or crackers and enjoy!
Don’t miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin’, via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: