Hot dogs (and burgers, of course) really are the ultimate summer cook-out food. My kids request them for dinner all the time. (Andy I’ll admit, the kids are not the only ones in the family who love hot dogs…)
After baking the hot dogs with all the chili, cheese and onions, I was definitely in chili dog heaven. (and yes, there is such a thing!)
How good does that look? You definitely won’t miss the bun. If you’re gluten free instead of low carb, this would be awesome with corn chips. (Just cut the hot dogs into smaller slices and scoop the chili, franks and cheese up with the chips or spoon the chili dog bake right into a snack size bag of chips!)
Low Carb Chili Dog Bake
Best hot dog chili ever and bonus: It’s low carb! (8 carbs per serving if you use the beef franks)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large bell pepper
- about 3/4 of a large onion, diced (use more if you like sauted onion)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt (You could cheat and just use 2 tbs of a chili spice mix in place of the 4 spices above.)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- 1 tbs of sugar or sugar substitute (12 carbs in a tbs of sugar, fyi)
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 8 Bar S Franks sliced longways down the middle and cut in half
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or cheddar blend cheese (or more if you like a lot of cheese)
- Combine the ground beef, 2/3 of the chopped onions, peppers and garlic in large frying pan and saute until ground beef is browned. Drain fat.
- Add spices, worcestershire, sugar, tomato sauce, tomato paste and water to the pan. stir to combine and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Optional step, but totally makes it just like real hot dog chili: Using a food processor or immersion blender, process the chili until the beef is in very small pieces.
- Lay hot dogs flat on the bottom of a 7 x 9 casserole dish. Cover with chili. (you should have enough to reserve a bit for those that are eating regular hot dogs and want chili.) Spread 1 cup of cheese over chili and top with remaining onion.
- Bake at 400 F for about 15 to 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly!
Serve and Enjoy!
Don’t miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin’, via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: