Uh-oh… It’s 5:30 and I’ve not even begun to think about what to cook for dinner. I love my weekly meal plans, but sometimes life gets in the way and I have to toss that plan out the window. (Or just shuffle it down the list.)
Luckily, I had leftover rotisserie chicken and asparagus in the fridge. They were on the shelf, right next to each other, looking so pretty and delicious. It was like they were begging to be combined and I was inspired to throw together this yummy Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Pasta.
The ingredient list looks a little long, but it’s really not (the list is about half spices) and the dish comes together very quickly. The best part about recipes like this is that you can be very flexible about the amount of ingredients based on what you have on hand and it will still be good.
I added some crusty french bread and fruit on the side and we really enjoyed this simple dish.
I hope you do too.
- 8 to 12 oz of your favorite pasta shape (follow the serving size on the box, depending how many you are cooking for)
- 1 to 2 cups of chopped cooked chicken (don’t stress if you don’t have much chicken, it will still be good)
- 1 Bunch Asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- 1 cup of reserved pasta water
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup half n half, heavy cream or milk
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese – Shredded
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves – Minced
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp dried Basil
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- a pinch or two (or four) of red pepper flakes – adjust to your families taste
- Salt & Pepper
- Cook pasta as directed on package. (Be sure to use the recommended amount of salt, it makes the pasta taste so much better.) Add the asparagus to the water during the last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain and set aside. Reserve a cup of the pasta water.
- As the pasta is cooking, saute the minced garlic in a large skillet over medium heat for about 3 to 4 minutes. Don’t let it burn. (If you are not using precooked chicken, go ahead and cook it with the garlic.)
- Add chicken, onion powder, garlic powder, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes to the skillet. Saute another 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, milk/cream, cream cheese and half of the Parmesan to the chicken mixture, stir until well combined.
- Add the pasta and asparagus to the skillet, stir until combined. If pasta seems dry add reserved cooking liquid a little bit at a time, stirring over med low heat until desired consistency is reached.
- Top with additional salt, pepper and Parmesan.
Don’t miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin’, via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: