If you simple and light pasta dishes, then you will enjoy this Lemon Ricotta Pasta with Spinach and Red Peppers!
My neighbor gave me several Meyer lemons from her mother’s lemon tree as a thank you for taking their family portrait last month. (So in addition to this Lemon Ricotta Pasta recipe, prepare yourself for a few more lemon recipes over the next couple of weeks.) I’ve never used Meyer lemons before, so I don’t know if all Meyer lemons are like this or if these were especially good since they were home grown and allowed to ripen fully before harvesting; but these lemons were fabulous- they were a bit hard to zest, but they had so much juice in a single lemon!
I really like “light” pasta dishes and the combination of the lemon and ricotta in this Lemon Ricotta Pasta with Spinach and Red Peppers dish was really good. I made this dish the day after my little missy’s birthday party and fed the kids leftover hot dogs instead of the pasta for dinner; so I can’t say whether or not this would be a hit or miss with my kids, but if your kids like pasta, I’m sure they would like this one too!
Look how creamy this was with only 2/3 cup of Ricotta and the pasta water, yum! (and so pretty with the red peppers and just barely wilted spinach.)
Lemon Ricotta Pasta with Spinach and Red Peppers:
- 12 oz fettuccine
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice (you might need more depending on what kind of lemon juice you are using, just give it a taste.)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- plenty of salt and crushed black pepper (to taste, of course)
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper (increase to your taste level- this makes the dish pop!)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups diced red bell pepper
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- Cook pasta according to package directions, using the recommended amount of salt in the water. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta water.
- While pasta is cooking, in a separate bowl, thoroughly combine ricotta, lemon juice and rind, 1/4 teaspoon salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper. (I listed 1/8 tsp of crushed red pepper, but don’t be shy, this dish is even better with a bit of a kick from the red pepper, so adjust according to your taste level ).
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and garlic, saute for 3 minutes.
- Add pasta, ricotta mixture and 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water to skillet. Stir until combined, adding additional pasta water as needed to achieve desired creaminess.
- Add Spinach, cook about 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Top with extra salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper if desired.
Looking for more Quick and easy dishes? Check out these skillet recipes made in 30 minutes or less:
Don't miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: