I've never used Meyer lemons before, so I don't know if all Meyer lemons are like this or if these are especially good since they were home grown and allowed to ripen fully before harvesting. These lemons are fabulous- they were a bit hard to zest, but they have so much juice in a single lemon!
I really like "light" pasta dishes and the combination of the lemon and ricotta in this Lemon Ricotta Pasta with Spinach and Red Peppers dish was really good. I made this the day after my little missy's birthday party and fed the kids leftover hot dogs in stead of the pasta for dinner; so I can't say whether or not this would be a hit or miss with my kids, but if your kids like pasta, I'm sure they would like this one too!
Look how creamy this was with only 2/3 cup of Ricotta and the pasta water, yum! (and so pretty with the red peppers and just barely wilted spinach.)
Lemon Ricotta Pasta with red peppers and spinach:
- 12 oz fettuccine
- 2/3 cup skim ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups diced red bell pepper
- salt and crushed black pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper (increase to your taste level)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup pasta water.
- While pasta is cooking, in a separate bowl, thoroughly combine ricotta, lemon juice and rind, 1/4 teaspoon salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper. (I listed 1/8 tsp of crushed red pepper, but don't be shy, this dish is even better with a bit of a kick from the red pepper, so adjust according to your taste level ).
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and garlic, saute for 3 minutes.
- Add pasta, spinach, ricotta mixture and pasta water to skillet; cook about 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Top with extra salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper if desired.
Don't miss any more posts! You can follow along on Bloglovin', via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, through your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below:
I will be linking up to some of the linky parties listed here.