I’ve got a fabulous Biscuits and Gravy with Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole recipe to share with you today!
Biscuits and Gravy with Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole is an easy breakfast casserole made with biscuits, gravy, eggs, sausage, and cheese. This breakfast casserole is a must make for large gatherings to simple Sunday morning breakfast.
I’m sure you’ve heard of biscuits and gravy casserole, right? This version of that popular breakfast casserole is filled with eggs, cheese and sausage in addition to the biscuits and gravy! It’s a perfect breakfast casserole recipe for lazy Sunday mornings with the family and it’s even better when doubled for large groups. Bonus: this Egg Casserole can be assembled the night before for practically no morning prep!
Biscuits and Gravy with Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole
Did I mention I hosted Thanksgiving week for my family this year? The deal was, hubby and I went on a trip the week prior to Thanksgiving and my parents would stay at our house and take care of the kids. Then after returning from the trip, I would host our family for Thanksgiving… So yes, 28 people for the Thanksgiving meal plus 12 – 19 overnight guests spread throughout the week and weekend! (Lots of kids though, so it wasn’t too difficult to squeeze them in.)
I’m sure you can imagine the amount of food we went through.
When we have large groups like this, my dad is in charge of breakfast. He had this Biscuits and Gravy with Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole recipe saved (that’s a mouthful isn’t it, lol.) and wanted to make it for everyone Thursday morning. He assembled the casserole at his house (a triple batch) and brought it to my kitchen to bake.
This breakfast casserole is the perfect dish for large gatherings!
Number one, to save time, you can put it together the night before. Number two, this biscuits and gravy casserole is the perfect combination of all things breakfast, so ther are never any leftovers at our house
- Biscuits – check
- Bravy – check,
- Sausage – check,
- Eggs, check, check!
These ingredients, separately are good, but once baked together they are absolutely delicious. It’s the perfect all in one breakfast and was an absolute hit with our pickiest little eaters. Every single person that has tried it absolutely raves about it!
CAN THIS SAUSAGE EGG BREAKFAST CASSEROLE BE MADE THE THE NIGHT BEFORE?
Yes! This Biscuits and Gravy with Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole is the perfect recipe to put together the night before.
To make it beforehand, cook and assemble all the ingredients, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Since the casserole is being baked, starting at a lower temperature, you will need to add about 20 minutes to the cook time. All ovens cook just a bit differently, so you will just need to watch it. If you find that the breakfast casserole is getting too brown for your taste before cooking all the way through, you can just add a piece of “tented” foil over the top for the last several minutes to help prevent further browning.
Can You Freeze this Breakfast Casserole
Of Course! This Sausage and gravy Egg Casserole freezes beautifully. Two suggestions for freezing… Make the breakfast casserole per recipe, serve and eat and then freeze leftovers in individual servings. To reheat, remove from packaging and cook on 50% power for about 4 minutes or until heated all the way through.
Another option is to bake as directed in a freezer safe dish. Let cool completely, wrap well and freeze. Defrost in fridge night before planning to eat and then cook for 25 to 30 minutes at 350 until warmed through.
Can I make my own Homemade Gravy for this recipe?
Yes, you can totally make your own special gravy recipe!
Many people do make their own homemade gravy and then often make extra to serve “on the side.” I don’t make homemade gravy because I think the Pioneer brand I linked to below tastes amazing and it’s pretty easy to make.
(A funny gravy related comment left on Pinterest: “I made sausage gravy from scratch because it’s too easy not to, and I’d be disowned as a southerner using gravy from a packet! -Kati”
Lots of people comment about adding bacon to their versions too, so you can definitely take this recipe and make it your own. There are quite a few comments and questions at the bottom of this recipe, but this pin on Pinterest has 129 comments about all sorts of results, changes, and variations if you want to check it out.
Can this Biscuits and Gravy with Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole be made without the Gravy?
Several people have asked this question, and while I think you probably can, I don’t recommend this Biscuit and Gravy style casserole without gravy, as I would think, with all the biscuits it would be too dry. If you don’t want gravy, I recommend a standard egg, meat and hash brown breakfast casserole (like this one) or a quiche – like this one. (Yum!)
Products used and Recommended in this post:
- Pioneer Brand Peppered Gravy Mix
- Pyrex Basics Glass Baking Dishes,
- 17-Inch Terry Cloth Oven Mitt (Heat Resistant to 600° F)
- OXO Cut and Serve Turner
- Sango Nova Brown 16-Piece Dinnerware Set,
Like Breakfast Casserole style recipes?
Here are a few more you might want to save for future meals:
- Bacon and Eggs Breakfast Pizza
- Ham and Broccoli Quiche
- “Impossible” Slow Cooker Ham and Cheese Frittata
- Ham Cheese and Hashbrown Frittata
Biscuits and Gravy with Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole Recipe tips:
- If you choose to prepare this the night before, you will need to increase the cooking time by about 20 minutes. (Keep your eye on it, you want to make sure the biscuits cook all the way and the eggs set completely.
- If you find your casserole is getting too brown for your taste before it is cooked through, cover with a foil tent to keep it from browning too much more.)
- Like gravy? Consider doubling the amount used in the recipe (or just have some extra for “on the side.”)
I hope I have answered all your questions and that your family loves this recipe as much as we do!
How to Make Biscuits and Gravy with Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole:Print
Biscuits and Gravy with Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole
Biscuits and Gravy with Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole is filled with eggs and cheese and is perfect for lazy Sunday mornings. Bonus: this Egg Casserole can be assembled the night before for practically no morning prep!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 65 minutes (plus additional time if baking cold ingrediets)
- Yield: 8
- 12 ounces of buttermilk biscuit dough (we used Grands, which are slightly bigger)
- 6 eggs
- 1 (2 3/4 ounce) package peppered gravy mix (makes 2 cups)
- 1 lb sausage, any flavor
- 1 cup cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 13×9 pan
- Brown the sausage in skillet and drain thoroughly.
- Cut biscuit dough into 1″ pieces, and line the bottom of the pan.
- Layer cooked sausage over the biscuit pieces,
- Layer shredded cheese over sausage.
- Whisk eggs and milk, add salt and pepper and pour over biscuit/layers.
- Make gravy according to instructions, and pour over everything.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until eggs and biscuits are cooked through. (read tips above)
- Serve warm (leftovers are excellent too!)
- If you choose to prepare this the night before, you will need to increase the cooking time by about 20 minutes. (Keep your eye on it, you want to make sure the biscuits cook all the way and the eggs set completely. If you find your casserole is getting too brown for your taste, cover with a foil tent to keep it from browning too much more.)
- If you find your casserole is getting too brown for your taste, cover with a foil tent to keep it from browning too much more.)
- Like gravy – Consider doubling the amount used (or just to keep some on the side.)
Keywords: breakfast, eggs, breakfast casserole, suasage and gravy casserole
Don’t forget to come back and let us know how you like this recipe!
Still hungry? You might also like these breakfast recipes:
(Just click the picture to see the recipe.)