These easy Skillet Enchiladas are a quick and easy meal that you can put together on the stove top or over the campfire for an easy camping recipe.
Quick and Easy Skillet Enchiladas
The weather was mild this past fall, and we squeezed in a few extra weekend camping trips.
Living in Texas, Fall and Spring is the best time to do all the fun hiking and other outdoor activities (like roasting marshmallows, or this trip to Enchanted Rock) that are too hot to do in the middle of the summer. One of our favorite trips for the year was our visit to a new campsite in the North Houston/Lake Conroe area and made a trip out to the Texas Renaissance Festival.
The festival itself was a lot of fun, but I think the kids had a bigger blast at the RV park’s heated pool.
When it comes to grocery shopping/meal planning and the packing food for our camping trips I have the routine down. I make a list/meal plan, order groceries online and have them delivered to save myself a trip. (Have you ordered your groceries online and had them delivered to your door yet? IT’S AMAZING! Here’s a $10 coupon for your first Instacart order if you want to try it.)
A typical camping meal plan for us is on the 1st night we’ll grill burgers and a few pounds of chicken fajita meat and use that as the protein for our lunches and dinners throughout the weekend.
We mostly use the chicken in salads, soft tacos and quesadillas, but during the last couple of camping trips, I’ve made these amazingly easy Skillet Enchiladas.
Can I just say the entire family went crazy for these!
I even made half with regular flour tortillas and the other half with my favorite low carb whole wheat tortillas and we all just loved them.
What you’ll love is how easy they are to put together – whether you’re camping or just trying to make a quick dinner that everyone will eat. To make the enchilada prep even easier, I used our pre-cooked chicken, canned enchilada sauce and pre-shredded cheese. (Of course, you could also make everything from scratch if that’s the way you like to do it.)
Look at all that cheese… Enchilada sauce + cheese is the best combination in my book!
Other campfire recipes that you might enjoy:
- 20 Minute White Bean and Chicken Chili
- Barbecue Chicken Skillet Pockets
- Skillet Barbecue Baked Beans
- Grilled Caramel Apples
How to make enchiladas in a skillet:Print
Quick and Easy Skillet Enchiladas
Super quick and easy recipe for Skillet Enchiladas. Perfect on the stove top or over a campfire.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 to 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
Since this recipe is made with leftovers, the ingredient amounts are up to you. Just squeeze as many enchiladas as you can into the pan. (I got 7 enchiladas into my 8-inch pan.)
- Tortillas (corn tortillas will be less soggy, but flour ones just taste so good!)
- refried beans
- Pre-cooked chicken, shredded
- cheese, grated
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- optional toppings: sour cream, green onions, guacamole, cilantro, etc
- Grease bottom of skillet. (or use a quarter cup of enchilada sauce)
- Spread refried beans on tortilla, add a couple spoonfuls of shredded chicken and cheese. Roll up tortilla and place into skillet seam side down.
- Continue filling tortillas until the pan is full.
- Add as much enchilada sauce as you want and top with a generous amount of cheese.
- Heat on medium-low (or low heat area of the campfire) until the cheese is completely melted and enchiladas are heated all the way through.
Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Use whatever type of tortilla is your favorite. Corn tortillas are the traditional tortilla used for enchiladas because they just hold up better to the sauce and cheese.
To speed up cooking, you can prewarm the enchilada sauce.
- Serving Size: 1 enchilada
- Calories: 225