This Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan Recipe could not be any easier to make! The breaded chicken breast is perfectly cooked. Tender and moist, the outside is crispy and flavorful, topped with a delicious marinara sauce and melted mozzarella cheese.
All of these fresh, delicious ingredients are cooked together to perfection in the air fryer in less than 30 minutes!
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan Recipe
I don’t know about you, but I love chicken parmesan! I do find that often struggle to find the time to make this traditionally labor-intensive dish. I mean really, who has the time (or energy) to thaw, fry, and bake breaded chicken?
That’s why I’ve created this recipe that allows you to have a savory and hearty, flavorful chicken parmesan on the table in less than 30 minutes!
Making it all in the air fryer!
Why make this easy Chicken Parmesan Recipe?
- Time-saving: Making your chicken parmesan in the air fryer cuts the baking time down by almost half!
- It’s healthier: The finished parmesan chicken will be healthier. Since air fryers cook by circulating hot air, they allow you to make crispy, rich, fried dishes without using a ton of unhealthy oil.
- Fewer dirty dishes to clean. When it comes to chicken parmesan, using the air fryer means that you can skip the step of frying your chicken and get the baking and crisping done in one fell swoop! This saves you a ton of time—both spent cooking and cleaning dirty dishes.
- You won’t heat up the kitchen! Another reason to love the air fryer is it uses less energy and does not heat up the kitchen.
Making air fryer chicken parmesan is as easy as prepping your chicken, placing it in your air fryer basket, setting the time and temperature, and walking away!
What once was a dish reserved for special occasions or going out to eat can now easily be made for quick weeknight dinners or even a hearty lunch! Trust me, you won’t be able to get enough of this delectable air fryer chicken parmesan!
Ingredients + Notes
Ingredients at a glance. See the recipe card below for full ingredient amounts and recipe instructions.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts | You can use any high-quality fresh or frozen chicken breasts in this recipe. If your chicken is frozen, be sure to let it thaw completely before cooking.
- Italian Style Breadcrumbs | Most stores will sell premade and pre-seasoned Italian style breadcrumbs; however, you can also easily make your own Italian style breadcrumbs. Simply combine plain breadcrumbs, parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Parmesan Cheese | Since it’s part of the breading, I usually use grated parmesan cheese in this recipe. If you’re feeling fancy, you can use shredded, fresh parmesan cheese instead.
- Mozzarella Cheese | Sprinkle a handful of finely shredded mozzarella cheese onto the top of each of your parmesan chicken breasts to add a fun gooey texture and creamy flavor to your finished dish.
- Marinara Sauce | Let’s be honest, the marinara sauce is really what makes chicken parmesan so insanely delicious! My family prefers to use a simple, clean sauce like Rao’s, but any high-quality marinara sauce will work perfectly.
- Eggs | A few large eggs are used in the breading process to ensure that the breadcrumbs and parmesan stick to your chicken breasts.
- Parsley and Salt | Use these spices to garnish your finished chicken parmesan.
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Prepare your chicken breasts by pounding them out until they are about ½”-1” thick and cut each in half.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together your eggs and set them aside. On a large plate, mix together your breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Bread your chicken breasts by first coating each in your egg mixture and then in your breadcrumb mixture. Repeat this process twice, ensuring that each piece of chicken is double breaded.
- Place your breaded chicken into your air fryer basket and AIR FRY them at 360°F for 7 minutes. (depending on the size of your chicken and air fryer basket, you may need to cook the chicken in two batches.)
- Flip each of your chicken breasts and then top them with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Cook the parmesan chicken breasts for an additional 4 minutes. (Or until internal temp reaches 165 F. I use my digital thermometer whenever I cook meat- no matter the method.)
- Garnish your air fryer chicken parmesan with a pinch of parsley and a sprinkling of salt.
- Serve and enjoy!
What if I don’t have an air fryer?
Don’t worry; if you don’t have an air fryer, you can still make this delicious chicken parmesan!
You’ll want to prepare and bread your chicken as normal while you heat ¼ cup of vegetable oil in a cast-iron skillet. Add your breaded chicken to your hot oil and fry for about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Place your fried chicken into an oven-safe baking dish, top each piece with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese, and bake in a 450°F oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese begins to bubble. Garnish, serve, and enjoy!
Can I make this chicken parmesan gluten-free?
You can easily make your air fryer chicken parmesan gluten-free by replacing the breadcrumbs with a gluten-free alternative. Some grocery stores carry premade gluten-free breadcrumbs, or you can use crumbled gluten-free bread or crushed gluten-free crackers as breading instead!
What should I serve with air fryer chicken parmesan?
Since chicken parmesan is a little on the rich side, I recommend serving it with lighter sides.
This air fryer chicken parmesan pairs perfectly with a green salad and some fresh fruit. You could also serve your chicken breasts on top of a bed of spaghetti and pair with a side of steamed broccoli.
The options really are endless!
Can I Use Bone-In Chicken For Crusted Parmesan Chicken
Yes, it is possible to use bone-in chicken in this recipe.
You will need to add more time to cooking. (Start with 4 minutes per side) To ensure your chicken is cooked through, I definitely recommend a digital thermometer. (I use this one.)
How long will leftovers last in the fridge?
Store your leftover chicken parmesan in an airtight container in your fridge. The chicken will be good for up to three days.
Tips for Making Parmesan Crusted Air Fryer Chicken
- Make sure you leave space between each piece of chicken. (this means, if cooking 4 pieces, depending on the size of your air fryer basket, you may need to cook in two batches. If your is overcrowded, the chicken may cook unevenly.
- Donk skip the double (or even triple) breading of the chicken. Try to keep the amount of breading even, (for more even cooking.)
- Keep in mind the thickness of your chicken will affect the cooking time. This is why I always recommend a digital thermometer.
Air Fryer Recommendations
There are so many air fryers on the market!
I am on air fryer #2. My first version was the kind of air fryer that had shelves rather than a basket. OMG, I hated that thing.
I definitely use my air fryer multiple times a week, but do you know who uses it the most? My teenagers.
They cook everything in the air fryer. From chicken nuggets to homemade french fries to sandwiches.
The one thing they didn’t do with the 1st air fryer was clean it. The original one was incredibly difficult to clean, and yes, over time it stunk. (I eventually moved it out to the back patio and made them use it outside, lol.) I asked for a recommendation from my blogger friends and the consensus was the Cosori Air fryer. (FYI, when I grabbed the link from Amazon, there was a $20 coupon available.)
I have to agree, love this one and it is a snap to clean. so even if you end up with another brand, I recommend a basket-style air fryer, and be sure to read the reviews about ease of cleaning. (Ok, sorry for the novel…)
More Easy Chicken Dinners to Enjoy:
- 30 Minute Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Skinny Parmesan Crusted Chicken(I have not made this one in the air fryer yet, but it’s next.)
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Skillet Recipe
- Quick and Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Pasta
- Green ChileChicken Tacos
- Easy Peanut Noodles (lightened up)
- Baked BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
Let Me Know What You Think!Print
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan – Ready in less than 20 minutes from start to finish!. Crispy breaded chicken breast topped with marinara and mozzarella – made healthier with no oil in the air fryer!
- 2 large chicken breasts, pounded and cut in half
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- ½ cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh parsley
- Salt to taste
- Preheat your air fryer to 360°F for 5 minutes.
- Gather two shallow dishes. Place your breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in one and your egg in the other. Using a fork, mix your breadcrumb mixture together and beat your egg.
- Bread your chicken breasts by first coating each one in egg and then in your breadcrumb mixture. Repeat these steps twice for each piece of chicken, making sure that they are double coated.
- Place your breaded chicken into the basket of your air fryer and fry at 360°F for 7 minutes.
- Flip each of your pieces of chicken before topping with a few spoonfuls of marinara sauce and a handful of mozzarella cheese. Cook for an additional 4 minutes.
- Garnish your finished chicken parmesan with parsley and salt and enjoy!
*nutrition calculation based on 16 oz of chicken breast
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 350
- Fat: 15
- Carbohydrates: 19
- Protein: 37
Keywords: chicken, chicken parmesan, Air fryer chicken parmesan
Don't miss any more posts!
Follow along on:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.