These Mini Baked Strawberry Pies are the perfect treat for Valentine’s Day. Each little Strawberry Pie is a delightful burst of strawberry goodness in every little bite!
Mini Baked Strawberry Pies are perfect for Valentine’s Day
It’s not quite strawberry season yet, but with Valentine’s Day just around the corner, strawberries are already going on sale. I picked up a huge container of fresh strawberries and blueberries at Sam’s last week and we’ve been steadily making our way through all the berries.
I had one roll of pie crust left over from the Chocolate Cream Pie I made for New Year’s that needed to get used up and I knew some sort of little strawberry tart would be perfect since we had all these strawberries to eat.
My pie crust was store-bought, but you can use homemade or whatever works best for you. I like shortcuts in the kitchen (when they make sense), and I almost always use a store-bought pie crust. (I even used one on these little pinwheel cookies!)
I love valentines day themed desserts! A couple of others you might want to try are these Red Velvet Oreo Cookies, Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies, Cherry and Cream Cheese Heart Pastries, or this decadent (but Lightened up) Chocolate Pots de Creme.
How cute are these mini strawberry pies???
(Ingredients at a glance, get the full recipe in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.)
- Fresh strawberries | A little less than a pint is needed
- Cornstarch | Used to help thicken the strawberry filling.
- Sugar | 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar are what I recommend for this recipe. (Based on the sweetness of your strawberries, you could increase or reduce the sugar.)
- Lemon juice | Adds a bit of brightness to the mini pies
- Pie crust | Storebought or homemade. Up to you on what you use.
- Optional egg | to brush over the tops of the pie crust for color.
How to Make Baked Strawberry Pie
- Prepare Crust: Line a mini muffin pan with small pie crust circles (2.5 inches in diameter.) Prebake pie crusts for 5 to 7 minutes at 350 F.
- Add Strawberry Filling: Mix the sliced strawberries with cornstarch, sugar, and lemon. Spoon into prepared crusts.
- Add crust “toppers”: Top strawberries with pie toppers and brush with optional beaten egg.
- Bake: Bake mini pies for 15 minutes at 350 F. or until the pie toppers turn golden brown.
- Cool: Allow the baked strawberry pies to cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve: Serve with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream
- To make mini strawberry pies more Valentine-ish, I used a small fondant cutter to cut out the heart shape and a biscuit cutting set to get the scalloped circle for the crust.
- If you don’t want to do hearts; woven mini strips or a smaller scalloped circle would be great too.
The weird-looking strawberry pies at the top of the pan are my special low-carb versions. (You didn’t think I was going to pass these up, did you, lol?) To make them lower carb, I used an almond meal crust and Swerve sweetener. They came out pretty good!
I did also try the traditional pastry version and yes, they were tastier than my almond meal crust mini pies.
They aren’t perfect looking, but that only adds to their charm. Don’t worry, though; they taste amazing!
Can I Use Frozen Strawberries In These Pies?
For best results, I recommend fresh strawberries however; frozen strawberries can be used. Make sure you thaw and drain them well before making your strawberry mixture. I suggest bumping up the cornstarch by a teaspoon or two to help thicken the extra juice from the frozen berries.
Can I Use Other Fruits?
Yes, blueberries, mixed berries, or peaches would be great!
Can I Make A Full-Size Pie With This Recipe?
Yes, I recommend doubling the amount of strawberries, sugar, and cornstarch. Bake at 425 F. for 35 to 40 minutes. If your crust is getting too brown, cover it loosely with a foil tent.
How To Keep Your Pie Crust From Getting Soggy.
I recommend blind baking the pie crusts for 5 to 7 minutes before adding the fruit filling.
How Do I Store These Mini Strawberry Pies?
Store the pies at room temperature, covered in plastic wrap, for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Can These Pies Be Frozen?
Yes, they freeze great! Once the pies are completely cooled, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet in the freezer. Once they have frozen, you can transfer them to a freezer bag or airtight container for up to three months.
This way, the pies won’t stick together and you can eat them one at a time. To serve, thaw them overnight in the fridge or for an hour or two on the counter. Warm in the microwave or cover with foil and bake at 325 until heated. (How amazing would these be with a scoop of ice cream!)
More recipes in “miniature” your family might like:
- Mini Meatloaf in a Muffin Tin Recipe
- Hamburger Bun Mini-Pizza’s and Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe
- Ham and Cheese Mini Quiches
- Scrambled Egg Mini Pizzas
- No Bake Mini Cheesecake Bites
- Double Berry White Chocolate Mini Muffins
Products used and recommended for this post:
Did You Make These Baked Strawberry Pies?
Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and/or a review in the comments section below. If you share an image on Instagram or Facebook, be sure to tag me and use #scatteredmomrecipes!Print
Each of these Mini Baked Strawberry Pies is a delightful burst of strawberry goodness in every little bite!
- 12 oz strawberries
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 to 4 tablespoons of sugar (or whatever amount is needed based on the sweetness of your strawberries)
- squeeze lemon juice
- 1 pie crust
- 1 egg, beaten (optional – for glaze)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a mini muffin tin.
- Chop strawberries and in a large bowl, mix strawberries, cornstarch, sugar and lemon.
- Roll out pie dough and cut 12 (ish) circles (2.5 inches in diameter.) You may need to re-roll the dough to get enough circles.
- Press circles into muffin tin and prebake pie crusts for 5 to 7 minutes.
- While crusts are pre-baking, re-roll dough and cut out pie toppers (circles, hearts, strips, etc…)
- Remove muffin tin from oven and spoon strawberry filling into crusts, being careful to not spoon in too much of the juice as it will make you pie crusts soggy on the bottom.
- Top strawberries with pie toppers and brush with optional beaten egg.
- Bake mini pies for an additional 15 minutes or until the pie toppers begin to turn golden.
- Remove from oven and allow pies to cool for 10 minutes. Use a knife to loosen pies from tin and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling
- Serve mini strawberry pies with whipped cream and any leftover strawberries.
Don't miss any more posts!
Follow along on:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.